Wednesday 4 August 2010

Odonata bonanza

In recent weeks I've done very little birding, instead I've turned to my other favourite subject, Dragons and Damsels. We still have a situation in the UK where birding is incredibly popular, either the casual observer, or the hardened obsessive twitcher and this exists to a lesser smaller scale with the Odonata.
A few have reached the 47 mark in terms of UK species, whilst I'm on a paltry 42 and surely it's only a matter of time before someone reaches the big 50!!
Lestes dryas is very common on the North Kent marshes these days having been a very rare damselfly one time. The picture above shows one of the 'many' at Cliffe. Incredibly someone found a few barbarus, Southern Emeralds at Cliffe still a very rare species in the UK but hopefully a new colonist.


Above Southern Emeralds
The incredible news that there was a small colony of Aeshnea affinis, Southern Migrant Hawker at Hadleigh Essex found me waiting with 30 to 40 other manic Dragon twitchers a few hours for the sun to shine and the show to commence. We were not disappointed with two males seen .
Amazingly enough a pair was also found at Cliffe ovipositing, fantastic hopefully another UK colonist
Th Odonata paparazzi
The 'elite' of Dragons discuss the finer points of anal appendages at Hadleigh.
So, no birds but the next step is Moths!!!!
Oh dear I think I've bitten off more than I can chew this time round!!!
To be continued..........................

No comments: