Thursday 29 November 2007

Welsh Pipit off the menu!

The weekend of 24th-25th November should have included a drive to Wales to see a Pechora Pipit but sadly the bird had done a bunk and I opted for a long drive (all 8 miles of it) to Cliffe to look for the Green-winged Teal (GWT) . A pleasant few hours were spent in the area around the pools though no GWT and I had to make do with 2 Siskins flying over and 3 Goldeneye, one a drake. There was a large roost of waders, Dunlin, Blackwit, and Redshank though I didn't count them. Next stop was Stoke saltings and a complete lack of birds! With a few hours of daylight left I opted for Motney Hill sewage farm a delightful area complete with real sewage and an RSPB reserve next door!! In the deep water channel I failed to find any rare Grebes or Divers though did see 4 Red-breasted Mergs with their punk hairdos and a distant ringtail Hen Harrier.
Not a bad day but no 'rarities' and little variety

No comments: